Happy weekend! I am here to help you celebrate it with one of my favorite finger foods: Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Peppers. Because I am Texan and I love (nearly) all things involving peppers, I have taken turns stuffing them with various foods. Some good, some not so good, I always turn to my favorite of them all… cheese. Because truly, cheese is one of my main food groups. When my relatively small town got a specialty cheese shop I died and went to cheese heaven. But I’ll save that experience for another especially cheesy post.
This recipe is super easy and super fun. And more than that, this cream cheese can be used on all kinds of things, not just stuffed in peppers. I usually make a double batch and save half as a cheese ball I can have with crackers or celery, or spread it on a tortilla and add meats, cheeses and veggies to make a wrap. The possibilities are endless. It is also a great way to introduce spinach into someone’s life. I grew up hating the stuff. I had only seen it plopped out of the can and served on the stove. It made the entire house stink and worst of all… my sister loved it. So we had it every week. This recipe, like the rest of the recipes on Away From the Box, does not use canned spinach. The spinach in the peppers pictured was quickly sautéed before stuffing, but I have used frozen in the past with similar success.
These are always a hit at every work event, potluck and party I have brought them to. I could tell you all that I only make these for parties, but it would be a lie. There are many times the hubby and I have crashed on the couch and binge watched the latest season of Downton Abbey (don’t tell him I told you that) with a big plate of these bad boys all to ourselves. So I invite you to do the same. No judgement here.
Until next time. x
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
- 15-20 sweet mini peppers, halved and seeded
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz freshly shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1/3 c sauteed chopped fresh spinach, or frozen, thawed and squeezed dry with a paper towel
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Wash and slice the peppers in half, vertically, and discard the seeds.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar or monterey jack, spinach and garlic salt with a large fork or your hands.
- Spoon or pipe the filling into the peppers and arrange in a single layer on a shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the peppers are soft.
Make a double batch and enjoy the leftover cheese mixture with crackers, celery or in a wrap. It is very versatile.
Follow me on Bloglovin!