This 5 minute aioli is super easy and flavorful. Perfect as a dip for veggies and fried potatoes or a spread for sandwiches.
- 1 slice white bread, crusts removed
- 4 TB milk
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 c. avocado oil or light olive oil
- 3 TB lemon juice
- salt and white pepper to taste
- In a small, shallow bowl, place the slice of bread and pour the milk over it. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Lift the bread and let drain, then gently squeeze excess milk from it and transfer to a tall container that is slightly wider than the width of your immersion blender. The cup that comes with the immersion blender works perfectly for this.
- Add the garlic to the container and gently mash the bread and garlic with a muddler or the handle of a butter knife until it resembles a fine paste.
- To the container, add the egg, avocado oil and lemon juice. Place the immersion blender all the way at the bottom and turn it on low, blending only the ingredients on the bottom before gently lifting it and moving around. Continue blending until it fully emulsifies. It should be white and resemble a thinner mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make by hand, mash the bread and garlic together as the recipe states, then add the egg and lemon juice. Slowly add the oil just a little bit at a time as you continue mixing all ingredients. This process takes considerably longer and has a higher probability of not emulsifying.
Sometimes, for no reason at all, aioli doesn’t properly set up. If that happens, don’t worry, it’s very common. Using an immersion blender offers the highest success rate, but there are too many variables to really pinpoint what went wrong. It’s better to start new and try again.