- 1/2 recipe homemade pie crust or store-bought equivalent
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 fuji or gala apple (or another sweet red apple), in small cubes
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- handful of radicchio, about 1/2 cup, roughly chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 TB butter or oil, for sauteing
- Prepare the pie dough the night before, to save time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a small skillet, sauté the radicchio in the butter or oil over medium heat, just until wilted.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough in all directions until it is about 1/4″ thick.
- Arrange 6 mini-tart pans on the dough and cut the dough in a circle around each, leaving enough to press into the sides of each pan. Re-work and roll out the dough again if needed. Tuck in the crust with your fingers and trim any overhang and discard, or bake into pie chips.
- Using pie-weights, pre-bake (or blind bake) for 8 minutes. Use a sheet pan for added stability.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream, then stir in the apple, radicchio and salt.
- After 8 minutes, remove the tarts from the oven, remove the pie weights and divide the egg mixture evenly among all 6 tarts. Top each tart with cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center is firm.
- Rest for 5 minutes and serve!
If you don’t have pie weights, line each tart with foil or parchment and fill them with dry rice or beans. Either discard the rice or beans after baking or set aside and label them as pie weights for future use! Don’t try to cook with these again-the texture will be lacking.
Baked quiche can freeze very well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight and bake for 15-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cheddar quiche, mini quiche with cheese