Guys. Guys. Guys.
I learned something new this week, and it has shaken me to my core.
Kevin has never had dirt pudding before. Crazy right?! I was thumbing through a cookbook and mentioned it to him, wondering aloud if I should relive my childhood and make it. And what did he respond with? “What is that?” WHAT IS THAT?! This poor guy didn’t even know what it is. Forget the rest of the book – he needs to know of this today. Not tomorrow, not next week, TODAY.
So I set out to make it for him. And because we are adults now, we need an adult version. (That’s my code for booze. It needs booze) The version in the book had cream cheese, butter, pudding mix and whipped topping galore, but I just really don’t like to use some of those ingredients. Not gonna lie, I did make it for posterity. And Kevin needed to have it exactly as I did as a kid – trans fats and all. But I’m not sharing that today. You’re better than that. We’re better than that.
Thus this recipe was born.
Make it for a fun adult party, your BFF’s birthday or just make the whole batch for yourself and eat it all in two days (Kevin can teach you how) – it is great for every occasion. And to make it kid friendly, just replace the Baileys with equal amounts heavy cream.
It’s more of a mousse consistency than pudding – that is, it’s light and fluffy and creamy, less dense than pudding. But I think I prefer that.
And if Baileys is your thing… check out my Baileys Chocolate Mousse Cake. I made it for my birthday and the blogiversary and I have only two words: oh yes.
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission that helps in maintaining this site.
Baileys Dirt Pudding
- 1 1/4 tsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 1 2/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream, ice cold
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 14 oz chocolate cream cookies, either homemade or Oreos
- gummy worms, as many as your heart desires (optional)
- gummy insects (optional)
- silk flowers (optional)
- Pour the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the powdered gelatin over it in a single layer. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring the Irish cream and 1/4 cup of the heavy cream to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the gelatin to the mixture.
- Stir until fully dissolved.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir, then let sit, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk until the chocolate melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the remaining 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream, vanilla and powdered sugar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the chocolate mixture half at a time, making sure the mousse is light and fluffy and fully combined.
- In a blender or food processor, grind the cookies until mostly fine, like dirt.
- Arrange 8-10 9oz clear party cups and fill each about a third with the mousse. Layer a spoonful of crushed cookies on top and repeat until you have three layers of each.
- Refrigerate until firm – between 4 and 6 hours.
- Top with fun things like gummy worms, gummy insects or silk flowers.
- clear 9 oz party cups
- small bowl
- small saucepan
- hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment
- blender or food processor
To make this kid friendly: replace the 1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream with heavy cream and continue the recipe as directed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baileys dirt pudding, boozy dirt pudding, irish cream chocolate mousse
Follow me on Bloglovin!