A creamy, cheesy, comforting broccoli cheddar casserole with ritz crackers (or saltines) is the perfect weeknight dish, potluck recipe or holiday side. This one is a hit at all my family functions!
taste and texture
I know I don’t have to elaborate too much here – it tastes just as you’d imagine: creamy, cheesy, and hearty with a satisfying crunch from the cracker topping. It’s warm and comforting and a great way to have broccoli.
tips for making this recipe
Casseroles are a pretty easy dish, but there is one tip I think is worth noting. The type of baking dish you use will matter. Ceramic and glass casserole dishes work best in these types of recipes. They conduct heat well and hold it for a long time, which ensures even cooking.
Metal baking pans heat up faster, which means you’ll get some burnt edges. They also aren’t good for storing food, so you wont be able to just cover the pan and pop it into the fridge.
recipes to pair with casseroles
This broccoli cheddar casserole is super rich and creamy. And I love the crunchy ritz crackers on top. To be perfectly honest, while it is the ultimate comfort food, I think this recipe is a little too much to be served as an entree. It shines when taken to potlucks, served with a Thanksgiving turkey or at Christmas dinners, since it is only a component of the meal.
As for weeknights, I like to make this casserole on the weekend and save leftovers to reheat throughout the week. It goes well with grilled chicken and sausage dishes, and is satisfying with a Sunday Roast.
Until next time. X
PS – if you’re a fan of all things broccoli and cheese, check out my recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup and print it out for a rainy day. Rainy days + soup = magic.Print
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lb fresh broccoli crown
- 1 lb American cheese, sliced from the deli counter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 sleeve saltines or ritz crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 2.5 qt casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan, bring lightly salted water to a boil.
- Separate the broccoli crown(s) into smaller bite-sized florets. Trim off any excess stem and dice.
- Boil the broccoli florets and stems for two minutes.
- Immediately drain and plunge them into ice cold water to blanch.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and sauté 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the milk and stir, then turn the heat down to medium low.
- Tear the cheese slices into smaller portions and gradually add them to the pot. Stir and make sure the cheese is fully melted before adding more.
- In the greased casserole dish, place the cooked rice, broccoli and cheese sauce.
- Crush half of the sleeve of saltines or ritz crackers over the top and mix thoroughly.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove and stir.
- Crumble the other half of the crackers on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- 2.5 qt casserole dish
- medium saucepan
- medium bowl for ice bath
The American cheese can be substituted with Kraft’s Deli Deluxe American (usually found in pre-packaged cheese sections of the store) if a fresh option is unavailable. Do not use singles.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: broccoli cheddar casserole with ritz crackers, broccoli cheese casserole