If the title didn’t already tell you, today we’re talking about soup… and a little bit of love. Or perhaps it’s the other way around…
I know I haven’t spoken a whole lot of myself on this site yet. I’m a bit of a hermit–you’ve got to poke me sometimes to get me out of my shell. So today, and this recipe in particular, is a little glimpse into my life.
I was recently asked to take part in a cookbook project for a friend. Her daughter is getting married this month and she had the cutest idea to take all of her friends’ and families’ favorite recipes and create a cookbook. She asked that we all include a few notes on marriage, advice, or love in general, or even just a funny story associated with the recipe. Now, anyone that knows me knows that I am the silly type. I crack jokes, have quippy remarks and rarely ever get sappy. But to my surprise, lovely reader, I sat in front of my keyboard and the floodgates burst open.
Here is the story of my first apartment with Kevin. Please enjoy.
“Imagine a small, dusty and practically windowless apartment. There are walls, but no art; floors, but no furniture; a roof over your head, yet nothing to fill the silence. You look outside, forlorn, because it’s raining–you can’t even go to the park. But in that moment, you look to your right and the bare walls fall away, the roof disappears and instantly the sun is shining… And you’re suddenly left with the realization that this is the moment your life has been leading up to. This person… This seemingly ordinary person with broken glasses and a slightly crooked nose is here. With you. In the home you now have with each other. But he’s not ordinary; he’s your entire world. And in that moment you understand that you don’t need art, or furniture, or the latest new fad to live a full and wonderful life. The only thing that matters is the person next to you.
Marriage can be rocky, to say the least. I can’t give any real advice as I’m always learning new things in mine, but I will say this: Remember your moment… that moment you looked into his eyes and you knew–you are his and he is yours–and you can get through anything.
This recipe is the first homemade meal Kevin and I ever shared together. I hope you come to cherish it as much as I have.”
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission that helps in maintaining this site.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup – and a Little Bit of Love
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1/4 c. AP flour
- 1 c. half and half
- 2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 c. shredded carrot
- 1/4 lb. american cheese, sliced from the deli
- sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent–about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the pot and stir to combine, making a roux. Stirring constantly, pour in the half and half 1/4 cup at a time, making sure it is fully incorporated.
- Add the chicken broth, broccoli and carrot and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Tear the sliced american cheese into smaller pieces and add to the soup, stirring to melt the cheese. Add freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese to taste.
Follow me on Bloglovin!