This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
These super yummy cheeseburger stuffed buns are packed with beef, cheese, onions and wrapped in golden brown pizza dough. They’re easy to prepare and fun to eat while watching the game!
taste & texture
Soft and fluffy dough yields to a warm and satisfying beefy filling. Onions and seasoning add to that classic burger taste, and of course there’s cheddar cheese!
It’s a great handheld food to walk around with while tailgating or grazing for seconds.
shopping at Safeway
For this recipe, I headed to my local Safeway. In the deli, I picked up two packages of their Primo Taglio pizza dough, then grabbed some freshly prepared potato salad and coleslaw from the deli counter and an order of buffalo wings from the hot case.
In the produce department I shopped their fresh cut fruit bowls. There was a lot of variety like pineapple and strawberries, but I stuck with my favorite: mixed berries. Here, I also picked up a white onion (and chives for those cute football deviled eggs) for today’s recipe.
And after grabbing some Montreal steak seasoning, sesame seeds, eggs and cheddar cheese I hit up the bakery department for some awesome fudgy brownies to round out the meal!
If you’re unable to shop in store, Safeway also offers their convenient Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ service!
I shopped at my local Safeway, you can also find these quality game day treats at the other Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, and Tom Thumb.
Recipe inspiration and other game day ideas
This recipe was inspired by a local piroshky restaurant here in Seattle. Piroshkies are most often found in homes and markets in Eastern Europe, but they’ve found a second home in the Pacific Northwest with fun and interesting flavor combinations.
While this recipe is obviously not made with a traditional piroshky dough, I took the concept of their awesome hand pies and added the convenience of a premade dough. It’s still fluffy and delicious and the burger flavor really shines through.
These stuffed buns are the perfect addition to a party spread, especially when you’re short on time, and a great dish to make ahead for tailgating.
Looking for more game day recipe ideas? Try my recipes for:
PS: I adapted those football deviled eggs from my pico de gallo deviled eggs. Make the eggs and filling as usual, add a sprinkling of paprika if desired, and instead of the pico de gallo, top with trimmed chives!
However you plan on watching your favorite sporting events this year, Safeway’s got you covered. Whether it’s their deli’s made in-store chicken wings and freshly-prepared deli salads, the bakery’s freshly-baked treats to satisfy your sweet tooth, or their Fresh Cut fruit bowls that make a convenient and nutritious addition to a fantastic gameday spread – they have everything you need to be the MVP of the kitchen.
until next time. x
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
- 2 16oz packages pizza dough
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet set to medium heat, start browning the ground sirloin. When it is almost fully browned add the diced onion and 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Drain and set aside to cool for 10 minutes before stirring in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Divide each package of dough into 6 equal dough balls (12 total). Roll or flatten into 5 inch discs.
- Drop 1/2 cup of the beef, onion and cheese mixture onto each and pull the edges up and towards the center, pinching all edges closed. Make sure there are no holes.
- Place each bun seam side down on the parchment lined sheet pan at least 2 inches apart.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and brush the tops of each bun, then top with sesame seeds to taste.
- Bake 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are nicely browned.
- Cool 5-10 minutes and serve warm.
- parchment paper
- pastry brush
- rolling pin (optional)
- pastry cutter (optional)
If tailgating, reheat these wrapped in foil on the grill 5-7 minutes.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove/Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stuffed buns, cheeseburger stuffed buns