Happy Friday, folks! I’m super excited about today’s recipe. It’s gooey, cheesy and delicious and incredibly simple to make. These spinach quesadillas have only 4 ingredients!
With the sheer amount of Chipotles and Taco Bells everywhere (not to mention Tex Mex is life), I imagine you are no stranger to quesadillas. If not, they’re very simple. Tortilla, cheese, and spinach all melted together.
Now in every Tex Mex restaurant I’ve been to (which is a lot), quesadillas are always on the appetizer menu. I mean, I guess that much cheesy deliciousness isn’t meant to be consumed in one sitting – and it is best shared with a crowd. When they’re this easy to make, they actually make a fast and fantastic appetizer.
But I’m not gonna lie. Me, my family, my friends, and everyone and they momma’ – we all get quesadillas as a main dish.
Everything in moderation, right?
And with spinach it basically evens out? Right? No? Maybe? Oh well.
So, to start, you’ll want to heat a skillet large enough for a big ol’ tortilla. 12 or 14 inches should do. Drop a TB of oil and a few handfuls of spinach. I usually wind up using 4 oz. per quesadilla. You know how it is, reality vs expectation.. That giant handful will turn out to be like two TB of actual cooked spinach.
Anyway, saute it, briefly, until it wilts. You’ll want to toss it constantly so it cooks evenly. Remove to a plate or bowl, then in the same skillet drop another TB of oil and place the tortilla. Top half of it with the cheese. Are you always making sad, thin quesadillas? The rule of thumb is to add way more cheese than you think you’ll need. Like the spinach, it shrinks a ton. Sprinkle some spinach on top of the cheese and close that sucker up. Let it cook for a bit, flip, cook some more and there you go. Cheesy Spinach Quesadillas.
And if you’re feeding a crowd, keep them warm in a 200°F oven to keep them fresh, warm and gooey. Easy peasy. Try serving them with some guacamole, salsa verde (my favorite), or queso. Yes I really did say queso. Dipping cheese in cheese is a little overkill and a lot delicious.
At the very least, they’re awesome finger foods to add to your spread!
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission that helps in maintaining this site.
Cheesy Spinach Quesadillas
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- 2 large flour tortillas, burrito size
- 16 oz Oaxaca or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet on medium-low heat, place 1 Tbsp olive oil and the spinach.
- Cook for about 1 minute, tossing constantly to ensure even cooking.
- Once it darkens and wilts, remove to a bowl or plate.
- Put another Tbsp olive oil in the skillet and a tortilla. Move it around a little to soak up the oil.
- Spread about half of the shredded cheese on half of the tortilla, then sprinkle a small amount on the other half.
- Top the cheese with about half of the spinach.
- Cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute until the cheese starts to melt.
- Fold the tortilla over on itself, like an omelet.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Flip and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove to a plate and cut into quarters.
- Repeat the process with the remaining oil, spinach, tortilla and cheese.
- large skillet
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: spinach quesadillas
Follow me on Bloglovin!