- 1.5 oz high quality baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee or espresso, hot
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 c. All Purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup malted milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup kahlua
- 2 oz chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kahlua
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 24 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl and pour the hot coffee over it, let sit for about 30 seconds, then slowly stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, both sugars, cocoa powder, malted milk, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir until fully combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), beat the egg + yolk on medium-high speed until pale, about 2 minutes. Add the melted chocolate and coffee, heavy cream, oil and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds. Add the flour mixture 1 c. at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture among the cupcake liners, filling each no more than 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and kahlua. Add the confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time and mix on low until combined. Once combined, turn the speed up to medium-high and continue beating for 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. If it appears too stiff and dry, add kahlua 1 TB at a time until reaching your desired consistency.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and kahlua until it begins to steam. Pour it over the chopped chocolate and wait 1 minute, then stir gently to combine.
- Fill your piping bag fitted with a 2A tip with the buttercream and pipe one dollop in the center of the cupcake, then pipe a swirl around it while keeping even pressure on the bag. Pull straight up and away once you get to the top. Repeat for each cupcake.
- To drizzle the ganache, use a small spoon to pour a teaspoon or two on top, or use my favorite method – the condiment bottle. Top with sprinkles as desired.
- Store refrigerated and let sit at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
- stand or hand mixer
- medium and large mixing bowl
- 24 cup muffin tin (or 2 12 cups)
- cupcake liners
- piping bag + 2A tip
See post for product recommendations, links to the sprinkles and cupcake liners I used, and in-depth tips for making this recipe.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: kahlua cupcakes, mudslide cupcakes, malted chocolate cupcakes