These chocolate turtle cookies are bursting with caramel, pecans and big chocolate chunks. Perfect for the chocolate lover in your life!
So I’m sure you’ve seen and had plenty of good chocolate cookies. What makes these different? They’re crisp and flaky on the outside and super moist and fudgy on the inside, just like a brownie!
Instead of creaming butter and sugar first like a typical cookie recipe, you’ll melt chocolate and butter together, then whip the eggs, sugars, vanilla, baking powder and salt until it gets really fluffy, almost marshmallow-like, then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
They come out with nice, crispy tops and are jam-packed with caramel, pecans and more chocolate!
So despite it being only November, I am in full on cookie mode. I love cookies for the holidays, so much that I decided to partner with other bloggers for a Christmas Cookie Challenge. If you’re looking for more recipes to help round out your holiday cookie baking, be sure to check these out below!
- Soft Chocolate Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies from Jennifer at The Awesome Muse
- M&M Oatmeal Cookies in a Jar with Free Printable Gift Tag from Jennifer at The Awesome Muse
- Fruitcake Cookies from Lara at Love on a Plate
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Cookies from Jessica at All She Cooks
- Date Pinwheel Cookies from Jennifer at The Awesome Muse
- Lemon Snowball Cookies from Me!
- 3 Ingredient Christmas Cookies from Pam Beth at Pam’s Daily Dish
- Christmas Crunch Cookies from Jenne at Mooshu Jenne
- Santa Sugar Cookies from Maria at Maria’s Mixing Bowl
Until Next Time. X
chocolate turtle cookies
- 12 oz dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa (not dutch-process)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 11 oz baking caramels, unwrapped and cut in half
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter together and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until pale, thick and fluffy.
- Turn speed down to low and pour in the melted chocolate and butter.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa until combined, then stir in the pecans, chocolate chunks and caramels.
- Chill the dough, covered, for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or a silpat baking mat.
- Drop rounded spoonfuls of the cookie dough on the prepared sheet pan about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.
- small saucepan
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- parchment paper or silicone mat
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: chocolate turtle cookies, caramel chocolate cookies, soft chocolate cookies