Garlicky and delicious, these crispy garlic green beans are a fast and flavorful side dish.
So if you don’t already have one, I think there is a kitchen item that is really underrated. It’s not a staple in American cooking, but there are so many uses for a wok. It’s not just for stir fry!
Its shape makes it useful for stir frying, of course, but you can also use it for deep frying, making popcorn, steaming, smoking and braising, and even things like one pot pasta.
In today’s recipe, you’ll first boil the green beans, then immediately blanch them in cold water. This is what keeps them crispy. If you prefer them a little more cooked, just boil for a little longer or skip the blanching process.
Saute the garlic in oil to release the flavor, toss with the green beans to let them soak up that garlicky goodness and season with salt and pepper to taste. It’s a simple, yet flavorful green side dish that I make all the time.
It pairs amazingly with steak tips and seasoned chicken, with comfort foods like meatloaf and mashed potatoes and I also serve it with dumplings and in stir fry.
If you make it, give me a shout! Either in the comments below or on my social media, I love hearing from you.
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission.
Crispy Garlic Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed
- 8–10 cloves of garlic, minced
- vegetable oil, for frying
- water and ice, for ice bath
- In a wok, bring about 6 cups (or enough water to cover the green beans) to a boil.
- Prepare an ice bath: a large bowl of water and ice
- Cook the green beans for 30 seconds – 1 minute, then immediately remove to the ice bath.
- Drain the water and fill the wok with 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or enough to fill it about 1/4″ and set to medium heat.
- Cook the garlic for about 1 minute, just long enough to get aromatic and stir once or twice to keep the garlic from browning.
- Drain the green beans and toss them in the wok to coat with the oil and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
- large wok (enough to hold 6 cups of water and green beans)
- large bowl for ice bath
- strainer or skimmer spoon
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: crispy garlic green beans, garlic green beans, green beans