Are you struggling to find a gift for that one person (or a few) left on your list? Homemade hot chocolate mix is an easy, accessible gift that almost everyone loves. And it’s perfect to give that homemade touch even when you’re on a tight schedule!
Homemade gifts range from amazing, yet incredibly time consuming to cheap garbage (it’s the thought that counts right?). This sits at a happy medium between the two. All you need is some mason jars (or other cute, airtight container) and a food processor.
I split the mix among 3 pint sized mason jars, but this recipe makes 18 – 36 servings. If you want to get a few more gifts out of this, you’ll either need to double the recipe or put them in smaller jars. Half pints will get you at least 6 of these.
You can also put 1-2 servings in cellophane bags or these neat test tubes to stretch the mix even further. And feel free to get creative with these! Add some cinnamon, cayenne pepper for a little kick, or espresso powder to make these truly original. The mix will last in a cool dark place for up to 3 months – just long enough to get them (and you) through the cold winter months.
Finish these off with some twine and these GORGEOUS free printable gift tags from Gooseberry Moon.
Download them HERE.
And while you’re there, scroll through her blog and take a look at her shop. She’s got some other beautiful freebies on there, like botanical gift tags and exclusives for her email subscribers. I can’t get enough!
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix & a Free Gift Tag Printable
Hot Chocolate Mix:
- 8 oz (2 4 oz bars) 100% cacao baking chocolate
- 1 cup Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
Optional Add Ins:
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- chocolate chips
- crushed candy canes
- mini marshmallows
- Break the chocolate bars into coarse chunks, then freeze until hard, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the chocolate chunks, cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Process until it resembles a smooth powder. (Hold on tight to your food processor. It may kick around a little bit)
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.
To make Hot Chocolate:
- Combine 1-2 Tbsp of the mix with 1 cup of boiling milk.
- Simmer on the stove for 30 seconds if you prefer it thicker.
Serving size varies between individual tastes. This recipe produces 18 2Tbsp servings or 36 1 Tbsp servings.
See post for packaging ideas!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Non Alcoholic Drink
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: homemade hot chocolate mix, hot chocolate mix
Follow me on Bloglovin!