Lemon shortbread cookies dusted in powdered sugar makes these awesome lemon snowball cookies. They’re fun, fresh and vibrant in the springtime and excellent for holiday cookie shares!
With the holiday season comes cookies, lots and lots and lots of cookies! So when I started planning out my holiday content, I knew I had to include several cookie recipes.
In fact, I love baking cookies so much I decided to join a Christmas Cookie Challenge with some other talented bloggers! Be sure to check out their recipes below.
- Soft Chocolate Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies from Jennifer at The Awesome Muse
- M&M Oatmeal Cookies in a Jar with Free Printable Gift Tag from Jennifer at The Awesome Muse
- Fruitcake Cookies from Lara at Love on a Plate
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Cookies from Jessica at All She Cooks
- Date Pinwheel Cookies from Jennifer at The Awesome Muse
- Chocolate Turtle Cookies from Me!
- 3 Ingredient Christmas Cookies from Pam Beth at Pam’s Daily Dish
- Christmas Crunch Cookies from Jenne at Mooshu Jenne
- Santa Sugar Cookies from Maria at Maria’s Mixing Bowl
Today’s cookies, known as snowballs, wedding cookies or sometimes tea cakes, are crunchy, slightly sweet and super lemony. They’re also super easy to make! It’s one of my favorite ways to make cookies – no creaming, no beating, no chilling, minimal shaping.
To make this recipe you’ll rub chilled butter into the flour, sugar and zest, similar to the start of a biscuit or scone recipe. From there you add an egg yolk, lemon juice and a bit of almond flour to give it a nice, crunchy shortbread texture. Then you just divide, roll into balls and bake! And really, when you’ve got another 10-12 recipes to complete that cookie basket you couldn’t ask for more.
Try it, and give me a shout! Happy Holidays!
Until Next Time. X
Lemon Snowball Cookies
- 1 c. All Purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- yellow food color (optional)
- confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a sheet pan with parchment or a baking mat.
- In a mixing bowl, place the flour, lemon zest, sugar and butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it is moist and crumbly.
- Add the egg yolk, lemon juice and almond flour and knead until it resembles a smooth dough.
- Add yellow food color, if using, and knead until no streaks remain.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Place on the prepared sheet pan 2 inches apart.
- Bake 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and while still hot, dust all sides with confectioners sugar.
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- sheet pan
- mixing bowl
- dusting wand or small sieve (optional)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: lemon snowballs, lemon cookies, wedding cookies, holiday cookies