- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose flour, sifted
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- flour, for dusting
- vegetable or canola oil, for frying
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1 oz pecan bourbon, or other smooth bourbon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar, oil and salt until combined.
- Slowly stir in 2 cups of the sifted flour, baking powder, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Knead in the remaining flour with your hands, adding an egg white if mixture is too dry.
- Flour your hands and a flat work surface, then separate a handful of mixture and roll into a 1/4″ wide tube.
- Cut into squares and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining dough until complete.
- Fry a handful at a time in oil heated to 350°F, about 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup and bourbon.
- Transfer the fried balls to a large bowl and pour the maple bourbon mixture over it.
- Add the pecans and toss to coat.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- large bowl
- deep skillet or deep fryer
- instant read thermometer
- slotted spoon or spider
- small bowl
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Refrigeration will cause the strufoli to harden.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian