Well, I’m a few days early for the first day of Autumn, but I don’t care. I’ve been dreaming of pumpkin spice since August. Now, like my Nutella Stuffed French Toast Cups, these have the same basic recipe with a foolproof method. Chop, mix, fill, bake, done. Easy as pie. Or, more like, easy as french toast cups.
These have a very simple taste with a subtle hint of pumpkin spice. It’s great for when you’re craving really good french toast with a Fall feel but don’t want to be hit over the head with a pumpkin. And, like the Nutella Stuffed French Toast Cups, these do not have any added sugar either. Some may think the toast itself might not be sweet enough, so definitely have it with some maple syrup or honey on the side. Kevin likes to sneak some Nutella on these too. It’s like the best of both worlds!
Like I said before, the best french toast needs the best bread. Challah, sourdough, even brioche can be great options. Thick, fluffy, and somewhat stale is key. You can also go for Texas Toast or Artesano bread if you’re looking for store-bought options.
This also doesn’t have any canned pumpkin; just the pumpkin spice. I haven’t personally tried french toast with canned pumpkin, though I know some have done it. Have you? What are your thoughts?
Also, random aside: It’s super easy to make your own pumpkin puree. Cut a pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and stringy pulp. Cover with foil and bake in a 325 °F oven for an hour. Scrape and puree. Once you make your own, you’ll never go back to the canned stuff. In fact, it’s kind of under fire right now for not being 100% pumpkin. Another reason to ditch the cans.
But anyway, join me in ushering in the fall season with some of these bad boys. You wont regret it.
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission that helps in maintaining this site.Print
Pumpkin Spice French Toast Cups
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- nutmeg, whole, a few grates on a microplane
- 6 c. of thick, cubed bread – about 6–7 slices
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a muffin pan with butter or oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg.
- Gently fold in the cubed bread, mixing until combined and soaked through. Do not overmix. The bread can become soft and lose its structure, which is essential for fluffy french toast.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are dry and they are cooked throughout.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes while they return to their original size.
- Serve with honey or real maple syrup!
Follow me on Bloglovin!