Slow Cooker Charro Beans
- 32 oz dry pinto beans
- 4–5 slices thick cut bacon, chopped roughly
- 1 large jalapeno, whole
- 1 medium onion, chopped roughly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 5 TB taco seasoning
- salt to taste
- cilantro, about 10-15 sprigs roughly chopped
- Sift through the beans, removing rocks or broken beans.
- Add them to the slow cooker and fill with water. Don’t worry about measuring the water, just add enough to cover the beans by about 2 inches.
- Cook on low for 2 hours, then drain the beans and return to the slow cooker with the bacon, jalapeno, garlic, onion and taco seasoning. Add 7 cups of water and stir gently.
- Cook on low for another 24-30 hours, stirring every few hours to prevent browning. You’ll want a soft and flavorful bean. If it is chalky it needs more time.
- 30 minutes before serving, stir in salt to taste (I usually don’t add any) and the cilantro.
- Serve warm and refrigerate any excess. Leftovers can be reheated in a skillet and mashed with a fork to make refried beans.