A spicy mexican chorizo omelet, jam-packed with chorizo, onions and peppers and topped with cheese, avocado and salsa. Based on my favorite breakfast dish, the Hey Lucy!
So, from time to time, I like to make my favorite dishes from certain restaurants. In my cookbook exchange, I came across a recipe for salsa that (gasp!) doesn’t go with chips. Salsa, why have you forsaken me?! But, the list of ingredients intrigued me so much I just had to make it. And what does it so happen to recommend pairing it with but eggs. Bingo.
Which brings us back to the main recipe here. In the south, there’s a restaurant called Another Broken Egg. I don’t go out for breakfast often, but when I do, I choose to go here. With a wide variety of food and booze, they’re the perfect brunch spot. They have several locations so for those in the U.S., I recommend checking them out.
I’m an eggs and bacon kinda’ gal, so you’ll rarely see me eating pancakes or waffles. This recipe is the perfect culmination of my favorite things: meat, eggs, cheese and salsa! It’s based off of their popular menu item, the Hey Lucy omelet.
This recipe makes a pretty large amount of food, enough for 4 omelets. I chose to do it this way to use up an entire package of chorizo. It is very easy to halve this recipe and get a smaller package of chorizo… which, by the way, is usually located near the breakfast sausage and bacon in the grocery store.
I’m also not going to share the recipe for the salsa. It had an odd flavor and I only share the best of the best with you guys. So I definitely recommend using your favorite homemade or store-bought salsa. Or if salsa isn’t your thing, try using taco sauce, just the yogurt/sour cream, or by all means leave it out! Sometimes the best results are when you make it your own.
Anyway, that’s enough from me for now.
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission.
- 12 oz chorizo breakfast sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 onion, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- shredded cheese
- 1 avocado
- salsa, homemade or store-bought
- plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- Set a 10″ skillet over medium heat. Crumble the chorizo and heat it until browned. If using a sausage link, remove the meat from the casing before crumbling and browning.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, sauteing until the onion is soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Remove 3/4 of the meat and veg mixture and set aside. There is no need to drain. Spread the remaining evenly across the skillet.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the skillet.Cook until there is only a very thin layer of uncooked egg on the surface and shaking the pan gently makes the omelet slide around.
- Flip half over onto itself, making a half moon shape.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and continue cooking until the cheese has mostly melted.
- Transfer to a plate and top with sliced avocado, salsa, and plain greek yogurt or sour cream.
Follow me on Bloglovin!