These sheet pan sweet and spicy roasted potatoes shine with flavors of paprika, garlic and rosemary, spiced up and served on ricotta cheese with a drizzle of honey. It’s a great interesting side dish to serve to your guests!
There are just so many good things involving potatoes. Today’s recipe is for super easy sheet pan roasted potatoes, possibly my favorite variation.
You start with tasty red potatoes, season them with paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, ginger, cayenne and a drizzle of honey.
Yeah, I know that sounds like a lot. But these potatoes have a complex, layered flavor that shine with a neutral pairing, like ricotta cheese.
I initially tried a recipe from one my cookbooks, Heartlandia, and I’m not gonna lie.. I was a little disappointed. It didn’t taste like much of anything. They were coated in honey and I feel like that’s all it had to offer. (Though I will admit they tasted much better the next day, when the flavor had time to develop)
So I went to task retooling the recipe to try to bring out some more flavor. Garlic and rosemary go together well, and I love the added subtle sweet smokiness of paprika. Add a pinch of cayenne for that spicy kick.
The original recipe called for honey, and for it to be served atop a spoonful of ricotta (which is amazing with honey). And it’s actually really good!
So instead of totally coating the potatoes in honey, I suggest being very light and gentle with it. You want the flavor, but too much and it will be overwhelming.
I like serving it with a protein and another veggie, like garlic green beans or broccolini, or a side salad. It also pairs well with steak, chicken and fish. As a general rule, don’t serve potatoes with another starchy food, like rice, pasta or grains.
Give it a shot and let me know what you think!
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission.
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lbs red potatoes, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- flat leaf Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, place the potatoes, olive oil, paprika, garlic, rosemary and cayenne.
- Mix thoroughly, until the potatoes are coated evenly.
- Turn the bowl out onto a sheet pan and arrange the potatoes in a single layer and season with salt.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender.
- If you want more color, broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve on a heaping spoonful of ricotta cheese drizzled lightly with honey and garnished with parsley.
- large bowl
- sheet pan
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: sweet and spicy roasted potatoes, roasted potatoes, sheet pan potatoes