The BEST Tex Mex Queso – made WITHOUT Velveeta and Rotel. This recipe is just like what you find in restaurants.
- 1TB canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 c. half and half
- 1 lb yellow american cheese, sliced from the deli counter
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro (about 10-15 sprigs)
- 1/4 c. pico de gallo (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeno and saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Pour in the half and half and reduce the heat to medium-low. Tear your cheese slices into smaller portions and gradually add them to the pot, stirring constantly. Do not add more cheese until the previous slices have already mostly melted and combined. Add more half and half to achieve your desired consistency. I prefer mine a little thicker.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh pico de gallo (optional)
If you’d like to make this in a crock pot, saute the onion and jalapenos as stated above then add everything – half & half, cheese, onion and jalapenos to the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours. Stir every 30 minutes – 1 hour. After 2 hours turn it down to warm and stir in the cilantro and pico de gallo.
I love the heat the whole jalapenos bring. If you prefer a mild queso, core them.