Ever since I got my Instant Pot, I make penne with meatballs pretty regularly. (I mean, when it’s so easy how can you not) But other than my love of penne and meatballs, I have a deep love for all things pasta.
And sometimes it’s just time to change it up.
So here’s another recipe that is a weeknight favorite for me: Tortellini with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers. It’s a creamy, cheesy, peppery, spinach…y pasta that just really hits the spot when you’re craving a cream based pasta versus tomato based.
And the best part? If you don’t like spinach or red pepper, no problem. There are tons of amazing variations of this: asparagus and sun-dried tomato; roasted veggies like zucchini, squash and red onion; or even broccoli and bacon. Just saute those instead of the spinach and red peppers, and if it produces any extra juices strain them before moving on with the recipe.
Pair this with a simple side salad and it makes an easy, well-rounded meal. Bonus points if you use up extra spinach for the salads.
I really think you’ll love it!
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission that helps in maintaining this site.
Tortellini with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (or 12 oz jar, drained), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cups half and half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 20 oz cheese tortellini, uncooked
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add the roasted red peppers and spinach and toss for 1-2 minutes, just until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring often so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the half and half, salt and paprika and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer uncovered 5 minutes before stirring in the mozzarella cheese and parmesan.
- Once the cheese has melted stir in the basil.
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions, strain and immediately add to the sauce. Do not let the pasta sit out for an extended period of time after draining.
- Toss to coat and serve immediately.
- large skillet
- pot for boiling tortellini
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: cheese tortellini with spinach and tomato, roasted red pepper sauce and tortellini
Follow me on Bloglovin!