This sweet and salty popcorn recipe is made using white chocolate. It makes the perfect movie night snack, party favor, or Christmas gift!
The holidays are upon us. Like, for real. Is anyone (like me) scrambling for last-minute gift ideas? Or maybe there’s a potluck you need something fast and easy to bring. Or maybe you need a gift for that person you kind of know and need to give a gift, but have no idea
Today’s recipe for Sweet and Salty White Chocolate Covered Popcorn is super easy and versatile. I make it every year around Christmas (and my mother did before that), but also for any special occasion.
My best friend recently got engaged and we made this for her engagement party with a sign that said “He ‘popped’ the question!” How cute is that?!
Like I said, this sweet and salty popcorn recipe can be used for all kinds of things – from parties and party favors to edible holiday gifts for someone on a budget.
The process for this is simple with one absolutely important note: pick out every. single. unpopped. kernel.
Seriously. The last thing you want is someone chipping a tooth (believe me, I’ve been there).
So, either pop your own corn, or use 3 regular bags of butter popcorn. If you make your own, add butter or salt. The sweet and salty flavor is what really makes this popcorn stand out.
And use either almond bark or white melting chips. Using white chocolate chips will make these dry very hard, but if you don’t have any other choice, add some coconut oil to soften it. You can find all of this in your typical grocery store baking section.
To get the chocolate stripes like in the pictures, you’ll need colored candy melts or food coloring that is made specifically for candy. Water, water based extracts and water based food color will cause the chocolate to seize and harden.
But the most important part? Have fun! Get creative! Toss sprinkles around like it’s confetti! Add a dusting of cocoa and mini marshmallows to make it “hot cocoa” flavored. Let your kids help so that teacher gift truly was “made with love.”
This is a fun holiday tradition I looked forward to growing up and I hope you love it too!
Until next time. x
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission.
Sweet and Salty White Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- 16 cups popped popcorn (3 bags of microwave popcorn)
- 24 oz white almond bark or white melting chips
- candy safe food coloring (optional)
- On a work surface, arrange a large bowl, small microwave safe bowl and a large area for parchment or wax paper.
- In the small bowl, microwave half of the almond bark or white melting chips in 30 second intervals, until melted and smooth.
- In the large bowl, place 8 cups (1-1/2 bags) of the popped popcorn. Make sure there are no unpopped kernels.
- Pour half of the melted white chocolate over the popcorn and mix well.
- Pour in the rest and mix again, making sure each kernel is coated evenly.
- Spread the popcorn on the parchment in a single layer and while it is still wet, top with sprinkles or other toppings of your choice.
- (Optional) If using candy safe food color, reserve 2 Tbsp of melted almond bark for every color you choose. Mix to get the colors and shades you want (red and blue+yellow to get the above), and place in a disposable pastry bag. Cut the tip and immediately start drizzling over the popcorn. Repeat with each color.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the popcorn and almond bark and let sit for about 5-10 minutes, until hardened.
- Using a butter knife or your hands, break apart the popcorn into individual kernels or bite size sections and store at room temperature.
- large mixing bowl
- small microwave safe bowl
- parchment or wax paper
- fork or disposable pastry bag (optional)
The ingredient sizes are an estimate as package sizes can vary – anything around the amounts listed is fine.
16 cups popped popcorn is the equivalent of 3 bags of microwave popcorn.
I use butter popcorn in this recipe – it makes it extra sweet and salty!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: sweet and salty popcorn, white chocolate covered popcorn, popcorn party favor
Follow me on Bloglovin!