Freezer Shepherd’s Pie is a classic shepherd’s pie recipe with instructions to freeze. Take out a single serving at a time to reheat for an easy dinner.
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 c. beef broth
- 1lb beef brisket, cooked and cut into bite size pieces (see post for link to recipe)
- 2 c. mixed vegetables, raw or frozen
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 TB ketchup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 c. mashed potatoes, cooked
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes or until it begins to get soft and translucent.
- Add the flour in a little at a time, whisking constantly. It should start to thicken immediately.
- Slowly pour in the broth, continuing to whisk after each addition. Adding it slowly will make a nice, creamy texture.
- Stir in the brisket, mixed vegetables, thyme, ketchup, salt and pepper and simmer on low for 20 minutes. If using frozen vegetables, microwave according to package directions and simmer for 10 minutes instead.
- Remove from heat and spoon the mixture into 4-6 individual pans, then top with the cooked mashed potatoes.
- (Optional: top with shredded cheese and broil 5-10 minutes to create a nice outer crust)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Let the pans come down to room temperature, then cover tightly with foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- Arrange the pans on a flat baking sheet and reheat, covered, in a 350°F/175°C oven for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the middle reads 165°F/74°C.
Keywords: freezer shepherd's pie, shepherd's pie, cottage pie, mashed potatoes, brisket