This recipe is all of the goodness of a french onion soup on a sandwich with flavors of roast beef, caramelized onions and melty swiss cheese!
- 4 slices dense, crusty bread like sourdough
- 1 TB olive oil
- 4 TB dijon mustard
- 8–12 slices deli roast beef
- 1–1 1/2 c. caramelized onions
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 4–8 slices swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F or the broil setting.
- Line a sheet pan with the 4 slices of bread and brush lightly with oil.*
- Broil on the top rack for a minute or less, just to dry out and crisp up the bread. We don’t want any color yet.
- Let cool slightly before topping each with a TB of the mustard, then roast beef and caramelized onions. Sprinkle the thyme over all 4 and top with swiss cheese.
- Place back on the top rack of the oven and broil 2-4 minutes longer, just enough to melt the cheese.
- Remove and serve warm.
Prep time does not include making the caramelized onions.
The range of measurements depend on the size of your bread. For large slices, use the larger measurement.
*Using a Misto makes this even easier.
- Serving Size: 1