- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 leaves fresh basil
- 2 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté, gently, until soft and translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic, oregano, bay leaf, red pepper, and basil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes while the herbs sweat.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and continue simmering on low for another 25 minutes.
- If using an immersion blender, blend it on low straight in the pot until smooth.
- If using a blender or food processor, turn off the heat and let cool to room temperature before transferring and blending until smooth.
- To freeze for future use: let sauce cool completely, then transfer to a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Freezing in airtight bags and flattening makes for easier thawing. This will freeze for up to 3 – 4 months.
- medium stockpot or dutch oven
- immersion blender or blender or food processor
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: marinara sauce, tomato sauce with basil, pasta sauce