Caramelized onions don’t have to take forever. Try this technique to cut the time in half!
- 2 lbs yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 TB granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet on medium low heat, heat the sugar until it melts. Add the onions and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the onions and toss again to coat.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and watch as the onions begin to sizzle and weep.
- Let the onions continue to cook, stirring and tossing occasionally as they turn a deeper brown. If, at any point, the onions seem like they’re going to burn and their juices evaporate, add a teaspoon of water and stir. You might have to do this once or twice, but I personally never did.
- The onions are done when they are soft, deep brown and almost a jam-like consistency. The entire process should take about 20 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, or to taste.
See post for troubleshooting tips
- Category: Side
- Method: Stove
Keywords: how to caramelize onions fast, caramelized onions, quick caramelized onions, how to caramelize onions, cooking hacks