A delicious, cheesy chicken stuffed avocado deep fried and topped with marinara sauce.
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese
- 1 c. cubed fully cooked chicken (or beef, shrimp, crab, scallops)
- 4 strips bacon, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
- pinch of salt
- canola, vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
- 2 c. Marinara Sauce
- cotija cheese (optional)
- Scoop out the avocado halves from the skin, making sure to keep it all in one piece, and cut the monterey jack into 1/4-1/2″ slices, depending on how much cheese you want. Trim them to around the size of your avocados.
- With one avocado half in hand, fill the hole with chicken (or whatever protein you chose), then top with the monterey jack. Wrap the entire thing in a strip of bacon and set aside.
- In the bowl of a processor, pulse the breadcrumbs a few times to get a smoother texture. Alternatively, place the breadcrumbs in an airtight resealable bag and hammer a few times to break up the pieces of panko.
- Heat the oil to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with a pinch of salt. Then dip the prepared avocado half in the egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, then egg, then breadcrumbs again. With each dip, make sure the avocado is completely covered and shake off the excess.
- Gently lower the avocado in the oil and fry about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Top with warm, prepared marinara sauce and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. Serve immediately.