Broccoli Cheddar Casserole is a family favorite – perfect for a weeknight or as a holiday side.
- 1 1/2 c. cooked white rice
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lb. fresh broccoli crown
- 1 lb american cheese, sliced from the deli counter
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 2qt casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan, bring lightly salted water to a boil. Separate the broccoli crown(s) into smaller bite-sized florets. Trim off any excess stem and dice. Boil the broccoli florets and stems for two minutes, then immediately drain and plunge them into ice cold water to blanch.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the milk and stir, then turn the heat down to medium low. Tear the cheese slices into smaller portions and gradually add them to the pot. Stir and make sure the cheese is fully melted before adding more.
- In the greased casserole dish, place the cooked rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. Crush half of the sleeve of saltine crackers over the top and mix thoroughly.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered. Remove and stir, then crumble the other half of the saltines on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.