Broccoli Cheddar Soup – and a Little Bit of Love
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1/4 c. AP flour
- 1 c. half and half
- 2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 c. shredded carrot
- 1/4 lb. american cheese, sliced from the deli
- sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent–about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the pot and stir to combine, making a roux. Stirring constantly, pour in the half and half 1/4 cup at a time, making sure it is fully incorporated.
- Add the chicken broth, broccoli and carrot and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Tear the sliced american cheese into smaller pieces and add to the soup, stirring to melt the cheese. Add freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese to taste.