These sopapilla cheesecakes are unlike the others you’ve seen online. With fried cinnamon sugar won ton wrappers layered with a delicious cinnamon cream cheese mixture, this is a restaurant quality dessert you can make at home.
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 16 won ton wrappers
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- peanut, canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- caramel (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip together the cream cheese, salt, vanilla, confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon. Mix on low for 30 seconds – 1 minute and then increase the speed to medium. Continue mixing for another minute or two, until fully combined and light and fluffy.
- Set aside and chill, covered, until you are ready to assemble.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a wide bowl and set aside.
- In a deep fryer or skillet, heat the oil to 350°F. Fry the won ton wrappers 30 seconds per side, just until they begin to stiffen and brown. Make sure they stay flat.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate for just a few seconds. While they are still hot and coated lightly with oil, toss with the cinnamon sugar. Shake off the excess and set aside.
- To assemble, pipe* or spoon 2-3 TB of the cream cheese mixture on each won ton wrapper and stack about 4 high (stack 2 high if you want a lighter serving). Finish with a light dusting of excess cinnamon sugar or caramel (optional).
*Piping bags are pretty cheap at craft stores, or you can use fold-over plastic bags. Just snip off a corner and pipe.
Pro-tip: Fry the rest of the won ton wrappers in the package and coat with cinnamon sugar to make tasty cinnamon sugar chips.