S’mores popcorn is a fun twist on traditional popcorn with marshmallows, chocolate covered grahams and a dusting of cocoa. Perfect for snacking on summer movie nights!
So there are lots of great s’mores popcorn recipes out there (some are even formed into balls)! I like to think this recipe falls somewhere between way-too-much-effort-for-popcorn and more imaginative than just throwing in marshmallows and chunks of chocolate.
But I mean, how many ways can you really do s’mores popcorn? It’s always going to have chocolate, marshmallow and grahams. And it will always taste amazing!
So for this recipe, you’ll want to start with good ol’ popped popcorn. I prefer butter popcorn – kettle corn is too sweet and plain popcorn just doesn’t have a lot of flavor. Butter popcorn gives you a nice salty base and with the amount of sugar added in the other ingredients, already sweet popcorn would make this sickly sweet.
The popcorn is dusted with a 1:1 ratio of cocoa and powdered sugar, then tossed with mini marshmallows and chocolate covered graham crackers.
The cocoa is just plain cocoa powder, like we use for baking. It doesn’t really matter if it’s dutch processed or cacao (this is an article on cacao vs cocoa for those interested), just use whatever you have in the pantry.
And due to the fine texture of both cocoa and powdered sugar, you’ll want a fine mesh strainer or duster to cover the popcorn evenly. I bought this little doohickey recently and it works very well. It seems like an unnecessary, one-use item but now that I have it I actually use it pretty often.
In all, this is a simple and fun s’mores popcorn recipe. There’s really no need for me to wax poetic about it any longer. So make it and let me know what you think!
PS – Do you like popcorn? I’ve got more!
Until next time. X
Show us your food! Use #aftbeats for a chance to be featured on our Facebook or Instagram!
This post contains affiliate links. While at no extra cost to you, purchasing an item using one of these links provides us a small commission.
- 1 32oz bag of popped butter popcorn, or roughly 9.5 cups popped
- 3 graham crackers, broken into quarters
- 7 oz melting chocolate
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Arrange a large plate or small sheet pan covered in parchment.
- Heat the melting chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until almost fully melted.
- Stir, then fully coat each graham cracker in the chocolate, shake off the excess and place on the prepared parchment.
- Repeat for all of the pieces of graham cracker and set aside for 25 minutes (or chill for 10-15 minutes).
- Grab another large piece of parchment and pop the popcorn.
- While it is still fresh, arrange the popcorn in an even layer on the parchment.
- Mix together the 1 tsp of cocoa and powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle over the popcorn and toss until they’re all coated.
- Break the now hardened pieces of chocolate covered grahams into smaller bite-size pieces, then toss with the coated popcorn and the mini marshmallows.
- large plate or small sheet pan
- parchment paper
- microwave safe bowl
In a 70 degree house, my grahams hardened at room temp in about 25 minutes. If it gets pretty hot where you live, refrigerate the grahams to harden.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: s'mores popcorn, gourmet popcorn, chocolate popcorn